The FREQUENCY-IRELAND Music Alternative

An independent voice on choice sounds from the alternative/underground music scene in Ireland.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Panda Kopanda

A mention again for Panda Kopanda, who finally release The Ocean Of Fire EP on 27th November, through Cableattack!! Records, an EP I had reviewed here on Frequency-Ireland back in August in advance of some tour dates around that time. The earlier review can be read
here.



I caught them live at Limerick Boatclub around that time, on what was a miserably wet Sunday night in late August where a rather poor turnout saw them playing as support to Redjetson, along with emerging Dublin band envelope. I was actually there specifically to see envelope live, a band I had also previously reviewed here and had rated quite highly. I left much more impressed by Panda Kopanda.

Although I arrived late, missing half of Panda Kopanda's set, of what I caught, by comparison, Panda Kopanda gelled really well as a live unit. Perhaps it helped that they finished with what I believe is their best track yet in "Open Ground" from their forthcoming EP, but I was pleasantly surprised. I guess I should just listen to people more when they advise Panda Kopanda are a very fine live band. In general however, as I pointed out before, Panda Kopanda can sound a touch safe for my general tastes, but its hard not to appreciate their quirky slakerdom, and to be objective about it, I'd be very surprised if this EP does not receive the same massive critical acclaim from all corners just as its predecessor has done. The video to 'About My Temper' the lead track from The Ocean Of Fire EP has been added to those currently streaming from the Frequency-Ireland myspace.

Related Links:

http://www.pandakopanda.com

http://www.myspace.com/pandakopanda

http://www.cableattack.com