The FREQUENCY-IRELAND Music Alternative

An independent voice on choice sounds from the alternative/underground music scene in Ireland.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Fewer The Better

The Fewer The Better, regularly touted as one of Ireland's best unsigned bands in the media, fuse classic rock tendencies with punk rock attitude. They've been likened before to play with Hendrix-esque lead guitar and vocals which are reminiscent of Jim Morrisson, though delivering "songs Sid Vicious never wrote and have a strong Stooges vibe". I'm not so sure I'd agree with that last bit, but there is definitely quite a lot of punk attitude in there, particularly as a live band. An influence I do hear that I haven't heard many pick up on is The John Spencer Blues Explosion, although mainly just in their flagship song "Disco Spaceship".


In some of their other material, these guys drift way too close to classic rock in my book. Of the other tracks available to download from their website at the moment, I can hear brushes of Zeppelin in their track "Gone", while in "Blue Pill" there's definite Lynyrd Skynyrd and Blue Oyster Cult, and given these influences coming to the fore, regardless of how good these guys are at what they do, it'll never sit well with me. The video to "Disco Spaceship", which can be found on their website and myspace, is well worth checking out however for those who haven't seen it before. They're currently working on their second album. While I'd hope to see them move in the more punked-up direction of "Disco Spaceship" than overly play on the classic rock sound, I'm not entirely convinced they will. Time will tell.

Related Links:

http://www.myspace.com/thefewerthebetterband

http://www.thefewerthebetter.com