The FREQUENCY-IRELAND Music Alternative

An independent voice on choice sounds from the alternative/underground music scene in Ireland.

Monday, February 19, 2007

My Invention - Lo-Fireworks EP

One of the more impressive bands in Ireland of late in my opinion are Kilkenny based band My Invention, who independently released an excellent 5 track EP last year in Lo-Fireworks, tracks from which can be listened to on their myspace page. Although I've yet to explore their back catalogue (which includes some 4 EPs and an album), the recent EP has apparently been a change in direction for them, with a more lo-fi approach and dirtier sound when compared to their earlier offerings. What you get now is a melancholic indie-rock band with shoegaze tendencies, and it's right up my street in terms of music I like to settle into.

Influences I hear range from Grandaddy to dEUS, Sparklehorse to Yo La Tengo, Mercury Rev to Pavement, and many other fine bands in between. An additional aspect about My Invention though is their lyrical strength, with songs which often contain strikingly thoughtful subtleties, such as the bemused sense of desertion conjoured by Jellyfire, one of the more delicate tracks on Lo-Fireworks. Alas, after what had been quite a successful year for them on the back of that EP, they called it a day over a month ago due to personal circumstances within the band. However, all My Invention members are presently working on other projects now, so all is not lost. News on some of these new projects to follow later.

"When the Sun goes down in this town, you can still feel its ghost heating up the street, and there's nothing left to do in this town, honestly."
- Jellyfire, My Invention.

Related Links:

http://www.myinvention.ie


http://www.myspace.com/myinvention